Sausages
Arthur C. Clarke has been writing science fiction books since long before most of us were born. I am a great fan of his work; all those stories about strange creatures and alien environments full of weird gadgets with resocialised societies living the propaganda they take in their daily food pill.
I mean, come on, how likely is any of that? Eh? People aren't going to want video phones. They aren't interested in solar power and centralised, computerised security. They don't care about being entertained 24/7 and being kept up to date to the minute with global affairs. And they certainly don't want to have babies the normal way, or get out of their car to get things. And have everything they buy delivered without ever going to work. And no-one wants to live in Space.
Do they?
Just think, Man has only had powered flight for a bit over a century. Imagine where we might have been if the Catholic Church hadn't suppressed so many very clever men.
You want fried microchips with that?
HAL: I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do. - 2001, A Space Odyssey.
So why is this post called sausages? Because of all the links, of course.






2 Comments:
Uncle Arfur is an amazing author alright. Not only a prodigious output of sci fi, but also corresponding amounts of who dunnits & solid scientific commentary as well. Not bad for a reclusive alleged kiddy fiddler from Ceylon huh ?
I guess even alleged kiddy-fiddlers can be men ahead of their time.
Post a Comment
<< Home