Calling Dr Greenthumb
Adam is doing a science assignment about compost and, while the 'net has bulk and plenty resources, I felt just surfing the 'net didn't pose enough of a challenge and decided to go into some of the gardening retailers and look at compost bins, gather pamphlets and maybe score some info sheets that Ads could distribute after his presentation. What better place to go, I thought, than Switched on Gardener cos they are all about being switched on to gardening and composting is all about being switched on to the environment and reusing scraps and stuff in your garden to save landfill and waste water, right? Isn't that what the name suggests?
Well, they are switched on to hydroponic setups and carbon filters and switched on to party pills, pipes, accessories and paraphenalia-type shit like that, but they aren't the slightest bit switched on to compost; not a compost bin in sight, not a leaflet to be found and the sum total of composting advice was "maybe look on the internet or go to the library or maybe try Mitre 10".
So we went went to Mitre 10... they have 2 compost bins, no leaflets, no brochures. We went to Farmlands; they don't have anything.
Obviously being switched on to environmentally friendly garden practices is for those who want to surf the 'net and buy their stuff online, learn everything they need to know online and not want to ask any questions or gather anecdotal information.
I'm glad I never got around to asking about compost worms...God knows what they might have suggested then!
Switched On Gardener are not switched on at all if it doesn't have something to do with hydroponics and stuff.
PS - I reckon if it doesn't grow in a garden, ya aren't a gardener.
You're a propagationist.
PPS - We are going to try Palmers next. Or not.






1 Comments:
Ya didnt ask the old Flatster.. I be a compost maker & worm farmer from way back. Watcha wanna know kid ?
Post a Comment
<< Home