chapter 5 - a splodge on the blogscape

Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Today on splodge...


Cheesy

We saw a fab product in the supermarket today - vegetarian cheese. Now, I don't know about you but I didn't ever think that something like cheese needed a vegetarian version. Ok, a vegan wouldn't eat it, but there is no live animal stuff in cheese... is there?

Well, there must be cos Fonterra make a vegetarian cheese, we saw it today. And it's made of, yup you guessed it, milk products. Just like ordinary cheese. In fact, a quick comparison between it and ordinary non vegetarian cheese showed pretty much the same ingredients. Which begs the question, are vegetarians A. made of bucks, B. illiterate, C. unable to tell the difference (or in this case non-difference) between vegetarian cheese and ordinary cheese or D. too stupid to read past the word "vegetarian"?



3 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Blogger mdmhvonpa dripped...

Hrmmm.... vegan cheese. Something just not quite right there. Sounds like the fellows who came up with Twinkies got bored.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Unicorn Song dripped...

Ok, Now Jon (you remember Jon) is Vegetarian now, and he buys that vegetarian cheese, and he asked me to pass on to you, that its the Rennet in cheese that the veges dont like to eat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rennet

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Morticia dripped...

Ahh now THAT makes sense. I guess the veges don't eat Junket, either. Remember Junket when you were a kid? That stuff tasted like shit.

While on the subject of cheese, Fonterra take delivery of pallets of bags of MSG at one of their cheese factories not too far from here. I don't know what they use it for but I hope it doesn't pop up in our cheeses. rennet is a choice thing, MSG can be an allergy thing, like, my sister can't have MSG and now I have her reading cheese labels looking for MSG.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home