chapter 5 - a splodge on the blogscape

Saturday, November 04, 2006
Today on splodge...


Trivia #231

There is a seven letter word in the English language that
contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters,
"therein" the, there, he, in, rein, her, here, ere, therein and herein.

The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a
letter is uncopyrightable.

The word "Checkmate" in chess comes from the Persian phrase
"Shah Mat," which means "the king is dead".

The word "set" has more definitions than any other word in the
English language.

"Underground" is the only word in the English language that
begins and ends with the letters "und."

(it's getting late, I better wrap it up)

The longest place-name still in use is
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimau
ngahoronukupokaiwenuakitanatahu, a New Zealand hill.

Yay Us! No, I can't pronounce it, I get lost at pukakapikimau.

Well, doesn't everyone?



1 Comments:

At 2:27 AM, Blogger Yaxlich dripped...

I'm sure the residents of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in Wales are deeply jealous of their New Zealand counterparts.

Yaxlich thinks it would be fun if the two towns decided to become twins.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home