Automobiles
Twenty-two years ago, a bloke named Ray Singleton started a museum for cars at Rangiuru, just out the other side of Te Puke.
This weekend, a big chunk (88) of his Te Puke Vintage Auto Barn collection will be auctioned off.
Reg and Adam skived off this afternoon to have a last-chance look at the old and not so old, pretty and pretty munted vehicles and machinery that's been living there for so long and Ads took 165 pics. Here are a few of them.

It's a BMW Bubble Car but not Cousin Itt's Bubble Car

(If you aren't sure what this baby is, it's the original prototype 1969 McLaren M6-GT Coupe, developed, owned and driven by Bruce McLaren himself and later owned by Denny Hulme. Only 3 or 4 were built.)


The good old 100E Ford Prefect. (Not Douglas Adams' Ford Prefect.)

1952 Chev - nice teeth.

Bucket. (Not Hyacinth)

and a true thing of beauty. You tell me what year, I'm not sure.
Lovely. And heartbreaking.






5 Comments:
Aaah memories.. I used to have a Ford Prefect... No water pump, just a convection driven cooling system, so you had to take it easy on the hills, vacuum operated windscreen wipers, so the further you put your foot down the less they worked, no heater... Definitely not designed for long trips, but mine used to do the run from Gisborne to Thames & back. If you were patient & the weather was warm & fine that is....
Back seat wasn't very big, either. But at least it was bigger than a bubble car.
I couldnt possibly comment on the potential uses for the back seat of a Ford Prefect.....
I see the little baby beamer featured strongly on tonights news coverage of the auction too. Poor chap, I really felt quite sorry for him. all that work & no one is prepared to take up the monkey wrench for him.. I hope he really enjoys his retirement
Such a huge investment though, and then a new owner would have to find new premises (really long term lol) and move everything. That's a big job, the place is vast and filled to the brim with all sorts of stuff and there's stuff all around outside too. Ads took a pic of a kiwifruit bin stuffed to the gills with fanbelts, and that wasn't the only thing like that. I didn;t see the news though, so don't know how much they showed.
Post a Comment
<< Home