Grinding wheels
Has anyone else noticed that the wheels of the NZ health system grind ever so slowly unless you are bypassing the public services and going private? And how scarce are the opportunities to receive good health care from the small pool of resources available to choose from, even in a city with a population catchment of 120,000?
Because dealing with my neurologist (apparently the only one in town), has become so impossible, my GP recently referred me to a new one over the hill. GP thought it would take at least 3 months to get in to see him in his private practice, giving me a bit of time to organise how I was going to pay for it, being a non-funded private consultation and all that.
Well, in the mail today is an appointment in October, with a price tag of $340. Ok, if you say it fast it's not a lot, but when you slow it down it's three-hundred-&-forty-dollars and that's a-lot-of-money.
So I've organised to retrieve my MRI pics from the hospital radiology department and have five or so weeks to rummage around and find my Auckland neurologist's reports or source replacements. They can't be far away, my biggest failing (after not suffering fools gladly, or ill-mannered, inconsiderate wankers on MSN who fuck off for over an hour in mid conversation to watch a DVD without telling ya and leave ya hanging not realising they don't intend hurrying back) is that I never throw ANYTHING away, so they gotta be here somewhere...
But, no matter how much effort it takes or what it costs, it will be worth every cent to be shot of The Neurologist, who has a brick instead of a bedside manner and can't cope with having his decision-making abilities questioned, or patients who ask for a referral for a second opinion.
pfffttttt
Maybe I should sell sharp, pointy poking sticks engraved with his name to members of the local MS Society as a fund-raiser, I bet they'd sell like hot cakes, cos I don't think I'm the only person in the area who thinks he's a totally overrated prick.






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home