Life's a beach
Jess has been with us for a couple of days and, seeing as how she seldom gets near a beach, let alone one that's user friendly, we did the beach thing yesterday and today. The beach at Omanu is lovely in the late afternoon when the heat of the day has all burnt away and the risk of being charred is reduced to slim to normal. Just as well because 3 two-legged fish decided the water was the place to be and took full advantage of the chance to get wet.

H got a little bored today when the taller kids, in search of bigger waves, went too far out for her comfort and contented herself building a "monument" out of sand and driftwood, and later Ads destroyed it and brought the wood home.

The surf was small yesterday (with a ton of surfers sitting around on their boards waiting for nonexistent waves) and less than pitiful today (with a kayak and a canoe falling down what little face there was) but the kids managed to get very wet, very sandy and very hungry just the same. I made a new friend, an old bitch who two days running cruised up and demanded attention for a while, handsomely repaid in wags, licks and smiles before wandering off to spread her good cheer amongst the rest of the beachgoers

Dear old girl, she must live in one of the beachfront homes and I can't help but wonder what she does in the winter time when there are no people to chat to.
The weather, while being very nice, is not being co-operative where Comet McNaught-spotting is concerned, providing cloud on the western horizon in just exactly the wrong spot and, while we have had a good look at it ourselves, I haven't managed to grab a pic of it to post for you. In the meantime, I can offer one of my sister's pics. It's not very good (her words) but it's a damn sight better than mine :-)

You can see other people's offerings of Comet McNaught here.






3 Comments:
Apparently, the comet is going to get much bigger & brighter till it will eventually be visible during the day. All we had to do last night was step outside our front door. Quite amazing it is. I have never seen a comet before & I can understand the fears of simple folk from days gone by that they portend evil. I mean, I have to go to WORK today
Funny, I was just saying in the car yesterday how scary it must have been for Cavemen to see such sights in the sky. They had to go to work too, dicing with death against snarling beasts. They must have been courier truck drivers too!
That Romanian guy could probably use Heather's monument right about now
:-)
Post a Comment
<< Home